Click here for the online nomination form
FAQ - For any questions, please contact us early in the process at (605)234-4216, by email at
or by mail to South Dakota Hall of Fame, 1480 S Main Street, Chamberlain, SD 57325. Be sure to include complete contact information. Nomination deadline is February 1.
Complete and submit the application. Only electronic submission of nominations are accepted. The form is available on our website HERE. If you are unable to complete the form electronically, please contact us for assistance at
or calling us at 605-234-4216.
Why the South Dakota Hall of Fame exists
The South Dakota Hall of Fame provides recognition for individuals whose accomplishments provide inspiration for future generations.
Who may nominate a individual to be considered
Anyone may nominate an individual, living or deceased, to be considered for induction into the South Dakota Hall of Fame. Self-nomination is not permitted, and those currently serving on the South Dakota Hall of Fame Board of Directors or its staff are not permitted to nominate individuals.
Who may be nominated
Nominees must have resided in South Dakota for a portion of their life. The nominee must exemplify the meaning of excellence, demonstrating qualifications, attributes and achievement in the selected category that are exemplary and distinguished.
Looking for all areas of accomplishment
To showcase South Dakota’s finest, we accept nominations in five broad categories to cover any area of accomplishment. The following are general descriptions of each category:
- Agriculture – Includes all aspects of agriculture.
- Arts and Entertainment – Encompasses actors and actresses, film, photography, artists, musicians, writers, sculptors, communications including radio and television, etc.
- General – Includes such as education, military, political, religion.
- Historical – Includes all those who contributed to the fabric and culture of South Dakota.
- Professional – Includes such occupations as business leaders, scientists, inventors, technology/computer science, medical fields, medical advancements, researchers, philanthropy, law, etc.
- Sports – Includes athletes, coaches and others in the field of athletics.
Process for nominating
- Complete and submit the application. We encourage electronic submission of nominations. An official nomination form must be used. Please find the form on our website at http://www.sdhalloffame.com under Nomination menu.
Carefully review the required information, gather it together and complete the application fully to present the best case for the candidate’s nomination. Please review the application carefully as incomplete applications cannot be reviewed.
Submit on time. Nomination application deadline is February 1 of each year for all methods. Online applications must be submitted by midnight MST on February 1. Please leave adequate time as late applications cannot be reviewed.
- Selection and notification. The South Dakota Hall of Fame Board Members will review all timely and complete nominations. Each year, ten individuals whose nominating application best presents the achievement of excellence will be selected. The selection criteria for excellence is based on the information provided within the nomination for an individual's statewide contributions, outstanding leadership, achievement in their chosen category, and their skill development and growth.
Individuals selected for induction will be notified by letter. Honorees will also be announced in public press releases and on the Hall’s website.
- Recognition. Inductees receive recognition at the annual Honors ceremony held each September, on the Hall’s website and in various publications.
For any questions, please contact us early in the process at (605) 234-4216 by email at
or by mail to South Dakota Hall of Fame, 1480 South Main, Chamberlain, SD 57325. Be sure to include complete contact information.
Nomination deadline is February 1